Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta with Tomato-Basil Sauce
Inspired by a recipe from Tyler Florence
Food Network .com
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• ½ sweet white onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
• ¼ to ½ cup of dry red wine (Optional)
• 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
• Pinch sugar
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 box whole wheat pasta, cooked
• 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped. Plus a few more for garnish*
Grated Parmesan cheese to top if desired.
Coat a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of the oil and warm over medium-low heat. Add the onion sweating it out for a couple of minutes then add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until soft. Pour the wine if using and deglaze pan. Add the tomatoe sauce and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up slightly to medium and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off the heat and stir in the basil and then toss in the pasta. Top with basil and cheese if desired.
Sally’s Notes: I like basil but if it’s too much for you don’t add the additional garnish. Experiment with this recipe. I’ve made it without the wine and it’s great. Make sure you save a cup of pasta water before you drain it to add to the sauce if it gets too tight.