November is National Diabetes Month so I wanted to spotlight good and easy dishes that are also diabetic friendly. Thanksgiving turkey is generally a good protien for people with diabetes. It's the side dishes that can get a little trickey. This dish is simple and everyone will want to eat it!
Gingered Orange Carrots
Makes 4 servings
- 6 medium carrots (about 3/4 pound), peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken broth, or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine the carrots and broth in a medium saucepan. Cover and simmer over low heat until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, margarine, and ginger; simmer, uncovered, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Serve hot.
- Garnish with parsley, optional
Sally's Notes: I added just a little salt at the end.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
4g sugars and 2g dietary fiber.