Komen Vision: A world without breast cancer.
Our Promise: To save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. That promise is now Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1.9 billion since inception in 1982. We are the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists and have become the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.
Breast Cancer Facts
• Worldwide, breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in women.
• There are about 2.5 million breast cancer survivors alive in the U.S. today, the largest group of cancer survivors in the country.
• Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women in the U.S. ages 40-59.
• One woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every two minutes, and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the U.S.
• One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
• In 2010, approximately 207,090 women and 1,970 men were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in the U.S.
• In the U.S., an estimated 232,620 new cases will occur in 2011, and nearly 40,000 individuals will die of breast cancer.
• In Florida, an estimated 15,330 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed among women in 2011, and 2,690 women will die of the disease.
• All funds from the Komen Race for the Cure go to research, education, screening and treatment programs.
The South Florida Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
The Komen South Florida Affiliate was established in 1991.
Did you know?
75% of our net proceeds stays in our service area of Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties to fund vital breast health education and breast cancer screening, treatment and patient navigation grants.
25% is contributed to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grant Program to fund ground-breaking breast cancer research.
Click here for more info and make a donation online.